We have a huge variety of books in our book baskets this month and we have already changed them out a couple of times. There is just so many fun and fascinating things to study!
We are looking at many folk tales from Ireland and stories about characters and ideas that we think about when we think of Ireland. Some of the stories we have read are:
- The Leprechaun Under The Bed by Teresa Bateman
- The Leprechaun In The Basement by Kathy Tucker
- Brave Margaret: An Irish Adventure by Robert D. San Souci
- James O’Rourke and the Big Potato by Tomie daPaolo
Other books about Ireland, mostly in the nonfiction category, that we have or have already returned include:
- Count Your Way Through Ireland by Jim Haskins and Kathleen Benson
- Look What Came From Ireland by Miles Harvey
- S is for Shamrock by Eve Bunting
- Leprechaun in Late Winter by Mary Pope Osborne
- Leprechauns and Irish Folklore: a nonfiction companion to Leprechaun in Late Winter by Mary Pope Osborne
We have number of books by Dr. Seuss, since it is his birthday month.
- My Many Colored Days
- There’s A Map on My Lap! All About Maps (Cat In the Hat Learning Library)
- The Foot Book
- The Cat In The Hat
- Oh, the Places You’ll Go!
- Dr. Seuss’s ABC
- Green Eggs and Ham
- Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!
- I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
- Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories
We also have two biographies on Dr. Seuss
- The Boy on Fairfield Street: How Ted Geisel Grew Up To Become Dr. Seuss by Kathleen Krull
- Dr. Seuss by Dana Meachen Rau
An interesting book that I am looking at is Bedtime Math: A Fun Excuse To Stay Up Late by Laura Overdeck. We’ll see what I think of it and whether we start using it’s ideas or not.
Our read alouds right now include
- Dewey The Library Cat by Vicki Myron
- The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis
The final book I am going to include is the choice that we made for this month’s Poppins Book Nook book club:
- Earthsong by Sally Rogers
What is in your book basket this month? Whatever it might be, keep on reading and sharing stories with your family. At Home.