Today’s hymn is one that I have sung from childhood. It often pops to mind when I am struggling with things. Listen to it at Great Songs Chapel. You can also find it at In Search of the Lord’s Way by going to the alphabetical listing and clicking on the arrow beside the title.
It focuses on what is true, what is KNOWN. That is the focus “I Know.” And what is known?
- My Redeemer lives. – He is alive, currently living.
- He prays for me. – I am in His keeping and He prays that I will stay there.
- He gives eternal life, free from sin and sorrow. – He is the only one who has the offer of freedom from sin and sorrow.
- My Redeemer wants me to be holy. – In what I say, in what I think, and in what I do I should be holy as He is holy. In doing so, I may be with him when I leave this earthly life.
- He offers grace to sinful men. – God offers grace to all. Not those who are “good.” Not to those who are the “best.” All. All are offered grace because we are all sinful. He gives us grace in spite of who we are and He is coming again to take us to heaven
- I know that He has prepared a place for me. – Heaven has been prepared for me. And for you. And for all who accept this grace that God gives to all. It is not something temporal; it is eternal.
What freedom is there in knowing, really KNOWING, these things about My Redeemer! I know these things without a doubt. And because of knowing this, I have a comfort here on this earth. I know that no matter what is brought my way and thrown in my path, I have My Redeemer who is alive and doing these things for me. Knowing that He is praying and preparing for just me, little ol’ me, makes me feel stronger and I can face the next hurdle because of KNOWING this.
I Know That My Redeemer Lives
Words: Fred A. Filmore
Music: Fred A. Filmore
I know that my Redeemer lives,
And ever prays for me;
I know eternal life He gives,
From sin and sorrow free.
He wills that I should holy be,
In word, in tho’t, in deed;
Then I His holy face may see,
When from this earth-life freed.
I know that unto sinful men
His saving grace is nigh;
I know that He will come again
To take me home on high.
I know that over yonder stands
A place prepared for me;
A home, a house not made with hands,
Most wonderful to see.
I know, I know that my Redeemer lives,
I know, I know eternal life He gives;
I know, I know that my Redeemer lives.