Up to a hard one – Q. It is always hard. We are going to take a look at Gran Quivira.
What we call Gran Quivira is really the Gran Quivira Ruins. They are a set of partially excavated pueblos in the central part of New Mexico. If you are looking for it on a map, look about 25 miles south of the town of Mountainair. There is a small visitor center and a short trail through the area.
This pueblo was fairly large, considered a city unto itself, prior to Spanish contact in the late 1500s. The Spanish tried to convert the Indians but seem to have somewhat unsuccessful. They added missions, churches, and other buildings to the area. By the mid 1600s, the area was abandoned. This could be due to drought, ambushes by other native groups, and disease. What is left is the ruins of Gran Quivira and the other parts of the Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument.
There are many legends and stories related to the place, including one about Billy the Kid. An example of why these ruins are so important is Mound 7. It has over 225 rooms in it and has been fully excavated. This pueblo shows the importance of the area.
That’s it for Q but see you soon for the next installation.
Lori, At Home.
Note that the linkup is closed for joining but you can visit to see what others had to share.
Each week we will be linking up with the hosts of Blogging Through the Alphabet. Please visit some of these other blogs to get things like book lists, vegan recipes, and wonderful places to visit, just to name the topics I can think of off the top of my head.
- Amanda @ Hopkins Homeschool
- Christine @ Life’s Special Necessities
- Kimberly @ Vintage Blue Suitcase
- Dawn @ Schoolin’ Swag
- Wendy @ Life On Chickadee Lane
- Yvonne @ The Life We Build
- Jennifer @ A Peace Of Mind
- Kristen @ A Mom’s Quest To Teach
- Kirsten @ DoodleMom Homeschool
You can also join us and link up your own Blogging Through The Alphabet Post!! Just be sure to follow these simple rules–
* Each post must be family friendly. If it is not, we have the right to remove it.
* When linking up to this post, you give us permission to share your post and/or a photo from your post in future posts and social media shares.
* Place the Blog Button from the site onto the post you are linking up.
* Use the hashtag #abcblogging when promoting your post. This will help us find you and help us promote you as well.
* If you have time, check out a few of the other posts and share the love.
* The most important rule is to make sure you are having fun! This is not something we want you to be stressed out over. We want to see all the fun ideas that everyone comes up with for the letters!