I forgot to tell you ahead of time but I chose to skip X for this round. The reason – so much of the language of New Mexico is influenced by Spanish and native languages that you just don’t find words starting with the letter X. So, I skipped it. On to Y.
Do you know what a yucca is? (You say it just like it looks – yuck/a)
This is the state flower. It is a beautiful, tall, spiky plant with round or bell-shaped blossoms in a long, slender cluster at the top. The yucca is native to hot, dry areas, such as the desert southwest in the US, Central America, and the West Indies. There are other places where you can find yucca plants.
The plant itself is known by many different names – soapweed (because parts of the roots can be used as a soap substitute), beargrass, Spanish bayonet, and others. Nicknames include Lamps of Our Lord and Our Lords’ Candles.
They are pollinated by a specific species of moth that lives only on the yucca plant. It is an evergreen and you can find them throughout the state.
Most parts of the plant are edible, though they may be less appealing when you look at the long, spiky leaves. The flowers, leaves, fruits, and stems can all be eaten.
This is a beautiful symbol of the state.
Lori, At Home.
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Each week we will be linking up with the hosts of Blogging Through the Alphabet. Please visit some of these other blogs to get things like book lists, vegan recipes, and wonderful places to visit, just to name the topics I can think of off the top of my head.
- Amanda @ Hopkins Homeschool
- Christine @ Life’s Special Necessities
- Kimberly @ Vintage Blue Suitcase
- Dawn @ Schoolin’ Swag
- Wendy @ Life On Chickadee Lane
- Yvonne @ The Life We Build
- Jennifer @ A Peace Of Mind
- Kristen @ A Mom’s Quest To Teach
- Kirsten @ DoodleMom Homeschool
You can also join us and link up your own Blogging Through The Alphabet Post!! Just be sure to follow these simple rules–
* Each post must be family friendly. If it is not, we have the right to remove it.
* When linking up to this post, you give us permission to share your post and/or a photo from your post in future posts and social media shares.
* Place the Blog Button from the site onto the post you are linking up.
* Use the hashtag #abcblogging when promoting your post. This will help us find you and help us promote you as well.
* If you have time, check out a few of the other posts and share the love.
* The most important rule is to make sure you are having fun! This is not something we want you to be stressed out over. We want to see all the fun ideas that everyone comes up with for the letters!
Tagged: ABC blogging, New Mexico, travel/trips
hey! I have one of NM’s State flowers growing in my garden. Learn something new every day! 🙂
How lovely! Makes me feel not quite so far away!
Interesting – I knew of them but not really anything about them.
They are a pretty interesting flower.
[…] Valle Caldera, Very Large Array W – White Sands, Wheeler Peak X – no post Y – Yucca Z – […]