Years ago, I made a few different lists of healthy options for various times of day that we need to eat. I had two young children at the time and the lists were invaluable for my scattered thought processes. It made it possible for me to quickly pack a food bag for my husband who was working 12-18 hour days and I could also get a healthy snack for the girls without too much thought.
We have been talking about needing to redo those lists since we don’t eat so many of the food on them now, mostly due to allergies. This list will not necessarily be allergy specific since our allergies are all so varied. Here’s the “new” list:
- fresh fruit – apple, orange, banana, grape, blueberries, peaches, pears
- dried fruit – dates, apricots, raisins, craisins
- nuts – we keep almonds and pecans
- cheese – stick or cut a couple of slices
- lunch meat roll-up – just a piece of meat, maybe with a piece of cheese
- almond butter and honey
- peanut butter and honey
- graham cracker with almond butter or peanut butter
- hard boiled egg
- yogurt (can add granola)
- cottage cheese (can add fruit)
- goldfish (two of the girls like to mix this with crasins)
- canned fruit – mandarin oranges, pears, peaches, mixed fruit
- homemade pudding or jello
- veggies – carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers
- hummus (dip with veggies or crackers)
- tortilla – can add cheese
- crackers – I prefer the HEB store brand of rice crackers
- smoothies – tons of recipes out there to choose what you like
- popcorn – air popped on the stove top is our favorite
Few of these require pre-planning, other than shopping, which is important for us. We often need to grab a quick snack on the way to dance classes and I need to add 2 or 3 each day to my husband’s food bag for work since he works 10 hour shifts now with unpredictable ability to stop and eat. I know he likes to have something different so having a list like this helps me vary what I pack for him.
What would you add to the list? Choices are fabulous to have!
Lori, At Home.
Linking up with the Crew for a healthy eating post over at A Net In Time.