As I did with snacks, I am going to attempt to do with breakfast. We do a “get your own” breakfast because we allow the girls to sleep until they wake naturally and my husband works hours that mean mornings don’t start until at least 9 am. So, options are always good and appreciated. Especially when you have children that don’t like the typical breakfast foods on a regular basis. They have learned that high carbohydrate breakfasts don’t last them very long so they do tend to eat a pretty good breakfast, when they eat. I do have one child, who has always needed lots of sleep. (She slept through the night from birth and was a premie child at that! Yes, I count my blessings with that.) She tends to wake late enough in the morning that she gets more a of snack when she is hungry rather than a full breakfast.
So, ideas –
- oatmeal (regular, not the sugary prepackaged kind)
- fruit (oranges, apples, canned fruits, bananas, etc.)
- bacon (we cook it as needed in the microwave)
- eggs – scrambled, omelet, hard-boiled
- homemade granola
- Greek yogurt – adds in can include granola, maple syrup, fruit
- cottage cheese – often add fruit
- breakfast casserole – like with eggs, spinach, and a meat of some sort
- breakfast burritos – scrambled eggs with your choice of add-ins like cheese, green chili, bell peppers, onion, meat, etc.
- smoothies – all sorts of options here!
- homemade pancakes or waffles with pure maple syrup (I do a wheat-free, corn-free version for myself and my husband)
- homemade donuts (lots less sugar this way and we can add applesauce and other healthy things; again, I have a wheat-free, corn-free recipe that I use for myself and my husband)
- muffins (see note on donuts)
There are probably more options that come to mind for you and I would love to add them to my list. Grab-and-go options are definitely the most common option around here or those with simple, short cook times. Obviously, you could add cereals and poptarts and granola bars or breakfast bars. We just don’t tend to use those things for breakfast so they aren’t listed here. But please – add your favorites in the comments. I like adding more to my list.
Lori, At Home.