You know my girls are readers. Wait, you didn’t? You definitely need to check out more of our posts then because books are a huge part of what we do and talk about. 🙂
I often get requests for book suggestions. Recently, another request came across my text messages. So, I thought I would share with you our suggestions.
The request was for a 7 year old girl who has progressed beyond beginning chapter books but mom doesn’t have tons of time to preread every book for this young lady. So, knowing that my three girls love to read, she asked for suggestions. Here’s our list:
- Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books by Betty MacDonald
- any of the books by Marguerite Henry – Misty of Chincoteague, Brighty of the Grand Canyon, The Wildest Horse Race In The World, Justin Morgan Had A Horse, Album of Horses, and more
- Betsy and Tacy books by Maud Hart Lovelace
- The Mouse With the Question Mark Tale by Richard Peck – his other books are fabulous for older students and adults
- any of the books by Edgar Eager – Half-Magic is the first and my girls think it is the best
- Paddington Bear by Michael Bond
- Five Little Peppers by Margaret Sidney
- All-of-a-kind Family by Sydney Taylor (This one does feature a Jewish family. Just noting it as information in case your child is reading alone and this has beliefs you might want to discuss.)
- Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse by Ursula Moray Williams
Just a short list but some really strong reads and series to get your reader started with. We absolutely adores these books and they will stay on our shelves for many years!
Lori, At Home.