This week we are heading to the northern parts of the state to check out the fun found there. Ice caves, volcanoes, and hot air balloons will take us on a fun few days of activity.
Ice Cave and Bandera Volcano
Found in the far NW corner of the state near Grants, the Ice Cave and Bandera Volcano are open year round. There are two distinctive opportunities here – fire and ice. The ice cave is located in the lava flow from the volcano, which has a flow of 20 miles long. The cave is in part of the collapsed lava flow that created a single cave with the right geologic features to essentially create an ice-box. The cave temperature never rises above 31°F. The annual rain fall and snow melt seeps in, creating additional ice accumulation each year. There are two trails available for walking, one going to the ice cave and the other to the volcano.
Each fall, what seems like thousands of balloons congregate in Albuquerque, NM. It is a week and a half or so of daily mass ascensions, glows, and entertainment. It is a glorious sight to see all of the balloons rise into the air and hang there, slow moving around. If you are lucky, “the box” will be working and the balloons will be able to rise, go around and around the valley in a box figure, and the land again on the balloon fields. It is amazing to see the balloons up close and see how big some of them are. There are beautiful ones, shaped ones, figures you’ll know, and figures you won’t. There are sponsored ones and fun ones. Balloons to make you smile and some to surprise you. If you are lucky, you might go up in one. Some of my family has been able to serve on a balloon team, helping get it in the air, chase it after it ascends, and then help it land.
This is a sight to behold if you can. There is nothing like it, especially if “the box” is going strong. A definitely joy.
We were able to visit the International Balloon Fiests in 2015 and I created a hot air balloon unit for my girls to work with before we left so they would understand more about the balloons. We also did a hot air/cold air experiment.
Thanks for joining us this week!
Lori, At Home.
Each week we will be linking up with the hosts of Blogging Through the Alphabet. Please visit some of these other blogs to get things like book lists, vegan recipes, and wonderful places to visit, just to name the topics I can think of off the top of my head.
- Amanda @ Hopkins Homeschool
- Christine @ Life’s Special Necessities
- Kimberly @ Vintage Blue Suitcase
- Dawn @ Schoolin’ Swag
- Wendy @ Life On Chickadee Lane
- Yvonne @ The Life We Build
- Jennifer @ A Peace Of Mind
- Kristen @ A Mom’s Quest To Teach
- Kirsten @ DoodleMom Homeschool
You can also join us and link up your own Blogging Through The Alphabet Post!! Just be sure to follow these simple rules–
* Each post must be family friendly. If it is not, we have the right to remove it.
* When linking up to this post, you give us permission to share your post and/or a photo from your post in future posts and social media shares.
* Place the Blog Button from the site onto the post you are linking up.
* Use the hashtag #abcblogging when promoting your post. This will help us find you and help us promote you as well.
* If you have time, check out a few of the other posts and share the love.
* The most important rule is to make sure you are having fun! This is not something we want you to be stressed out over. We want to see all the fun ideas that everyone comes up with for the letters!