Little Women – Louisa May Alcott
This book takes place in the time period of the Civil War, in a family of six – Father, who is off fighting; Marmee, the loving mother; Meg, the oldest daughter, who is smart and ladylike; tomboyish Jo, the second oldest daughter; Beth, the sweet angel of the family; and the youngest, Amy, who is pretty, bubbly, and longs to do everything with her sisters. This book follows their lives as everything changes as they grow up, and trade childhood games for parties and suitors. But through everything that happens, the four sisters stick together to face their lives with love.
E – Mama read this book to us as well when I was about 10. I had had a hard time starting it by myself, but it was so much easier with someone reading it to me instead. My favorite character was probably a tie between Jo, because I think that I am a lot like her, and Beth, because I want to be like her. Altogether, it was a fabulous book, and a great read-aloud.
Lily Series – Nancy Rue
Lily is a sixth-grader in public school, desperate to find her “thing”. She has two annoying brothers – older Art, whose “thing” is music; and younger Joe, whose “thing” is sports. Lily feels awkward, like she doesn’t fit in her own family, and thinks that her fiery red hair makes her look ugly. First book, Here’s Lily synopsis – One day at school, Lily gets a compliment on her looks from a nice woman in the modeling business. The woman, Kathleen, is “searching” for kid models in in a fashion show, and she wants Lily to be a part of it. Lily throws her whole self into it, believing that this could be what she’s good at, and making other friends at school in the process. But when something goes wrong on the night of the show, Lily learns an important lesson, a lesson about true beauty and how God sees us.
E – This book appealed to me because I kind of feel like Lily sometimes. I want to figure out what it is that God wants me to do with my life, but there is so much other stuff going on that it can hard sometimes. Lily is an amazing main character and I feel like she is probably everyone’s favorite because she has such a personality that I think everyone can relate to at least one thing about her. I liked how this series showed a fun, friendly, God-fearing family, and the way they lived their life. I also liked how there were 14 books in the series that follow Lily as she grows up a little more, and then interactive companion books that tell a little more about the subject of that book for each one.
You know, Little Women and the following books have been favorites since my own childhood. I am so glad the girls followed in my footsteps with these particular books and Louisa May Alcott. Such wonderful stories.
Lori, At Home.
Be sure to visit the other hosting bloggers who are participating in Blogging Through The Alphabet!
- Kristin @ DOODLEMOM
- Christine @ LIFE’S SPECIAL NECESSITIES
- Dawn @ SCHOOLIN’ SWAG
- Kimberly @ VINTAGE BLUE SUITCASE
- Kristen @ A MOM’S QUEST TO TEACH
* Each post must be family friendly. If it is not, we have the right to remove it.
* When linking up to this post, you give us permission to share your post and/or a photo from your post in future posts and social media shares.
* Place the Blog Button from the site onto the post you are linking up.
* Use the hashtag #abcblogging when promoting your post. This will help us find you and help us promote you as well.
* If you have time,check out a few of the other posts and share the love.
* The most important rule is to make sure you are having fun! This is not something we want you to be stressed out over. We want to see all the fun ideas that everyone comes up with for the letters!